|Writing Workshop||Architecture||Assessment||Mentor Texts and Charts||Sample Lessons
The Clemson Virtual Professional Development Library (VPDL) for South Carolina Classroom Teachers was designed to support Professional Learning Communities (PLC). As we know, powerful learning can occur when we view teacher work and analyze it together with colleagues. For this reason, suggestions for how to lead a professional development based on each module are provided. The suggestions are broken up into preparing for the session, activities to do before working on the main portion of the session with a PLC, activities to do during the session, and activities to do following the session. These ideas are simply suggestions. We know the best ideas will come from you, the teachers in the field.
(click on a link to download a supporting document)
- Individual Student Anecdotal Record
- 12 Students Anecdotal Assessment Record
- 25 Students Anecdotal Assessment Record
- Conference Structure Cheat Sheet
- What to teach in a conference cheat sheet
- Various examples of student mentor text (see Mentor Text Module)
Preparing for the Make and Take Session:
- Read through the Assessment Page in this module.
- Gather materials for participants to create conferring toolkits. You will need to print: anecdotal record forms, cheat sheets, student mentor texts. You will need to purchase or ask participants to bring: sticky notes, pens, white out tape or labels, caddies, clipboards, colored markers, and an artist sketchbook.
Before the session:
- View the Assessment Page from this module with participants.
- Ask participants to turn and talk about conferring toolkits.
- Do you have a record keeping system you like and use? If so, what do you use?
- Do you a have a conferring toolkit? If so, what’s in it?
- What items would you like to create today to go into your conferring toolkit?
During the session (Make and Take):
- Allow teachers to view some examples of conferring toolkits from this SlideShare:
- Pull up the charts pages on this site to provide mentor texts for mini-charts for teachers.
- Provide teachers with materials to create their conferring toolkit.
- As teachers are working roam the room and help as needed.
After the session:
- Ask every teacher to share their toolkit with the group and explain why they chose to include particular parts.